Networking is the process of building and maintaining relationships for mutual benefit over time.
1. First and foremost you must believe that the networking process is important for you and will work for you.
2. Preparation is the foundation for becoming a successful networker. Develop a networking plan with clear goals and objectives.
3. Identify and research your target audience. Focus in on the best people and groups who can help you reach your goals.
4. Networking isn’t prospecting, its about building relationships. Be open to offer your talents to help others achieve their goals while your cultivating a network of people positioned to support you achieving yours.
5. People want to associate with people they feel comfortable with. Don’t act desperate or they will avoid you! Think and act positive.
6. Ask open ended questions and then listen. People want to tell you their story so listen, and learn.
7. Don’t monopolize the conversation, respect that they may want to meet others. Be aware of time.
8. Network with people you respect and want to emulate.
9. Recap your meetings while they are fresh in your mind.
10. Follow up and follow through in everything you say and do!